The alpine lake Eibsee is a postcard picture from Germany. It is as iconic as Neuschwanstein Castle and a true beauty you must plan on your itinerary in Germany.
I would even dare say it is one of the lakes you absolutely must see in your lifetime!
Eibsee Lake, Bavaria, Germany
If you need ideas for a lake roadtrip in Bavaria, Germany, get inspired by this one I did last Winter (where I also visited Eibsee).
Keep reading, as I will tell you everything you need to know before planning a visit to Eibsee lake: how to get there, what you can do, where to park your car, as well as some hotel recommendations
HOW TO GET TO EIBSEE LAKE IN BAVARIA, GERMANY?
Eibsee Lake is located in the federal state of Bavaria in the south of Germany, at the base of Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain.
The closest airport is Munich and from there it will take you around 1h30 minutes by car.
The most flexible way to explore Eibsee lake and this region is undoubtedly by car. You can book yours at SIXT straight after landing at Munich airport here
As always, I recommend car insurance against all risks. If you travel during Winter time, do not forget that snow kettles are required on the road!
WHAT IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT EIBSEE LAKE?
Eibsee lake can be visited all year round. Its landscape is marvelous in both seasons.
During the Summer, you can admire the beautiful emerald green color of the lake and enjoy boat rental services.
During Winter looks very pretty when it is snowing and you can also ski in the surrounding areas. Moreover, during Winter you will have fewer crowds.
Just be aware during Winter some services might be closed or limited. When I visited Eibsee in November 2021, both the hotel and café-restaurant were closed. However, this might have been due to the pandemic.
All in all, just pick the best season that suits your travel plans. Since it is one of the major tourist attractions in Germany, I recommend avoiding if possible, weekends, school holidays and national holidays.
Eibsee Lake Winter landscape
WHERE TO PARK THE CAR AT EIBSEE LAKE?
You can park your car straight at Eibsee lake (just follow the parking signs), which is the most convenient.
A parking ticket up to 4 hours will cost you €8. You can pay by card at the machines.
Tip: If you arrive before 9:30 am, parking fee is only half
It gets quite crowded, so the earlier you arrive, the better.
Eibsee Lake Parking
WALKING AROUND EIBSEE LAKE (EIBSEE RUNDWEG)
You can walk around Eibsee Lake (overall 7 km).
This route is scenic and you will want to stop at every photo spot!
Tips: Start the tour around the lake at Eibsee Hotel! This is where you will have the most spectacular views.
If you enjoy hiking, there are also quite a few hiking trails to choose from. In my case, I just did the lake tour.
Lake Eibsee Panorama
BEST PHOTO SPOT IN EIBSEE LAKE
My favorite photo spot was Geo 11! I love the Zugspitze mountains in the background with the emerald green color of the lake
The bridge right after you start the tour around the lake is also a very beautiful place to take pictures!
When taking photos of lakes and mountains, lighting plays a crucial role! Early morning or sunset time will always be the best time to capture the beautiful scenery.
Lake Eibsee Geo 11 Photospot
WHICH SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE AT EIBSEE LAKE?
Eibsee lake is quite a touristy place. Therefore, you will have plenty of services at your disposal:
- Hotel: 4* Eibsee Hotel : This hotel has a unique location right in front of Eibsee Lake. Imagine waking up in a room with lakeview to watch the sunrise. The bike rental service at the lake is only available for hotel guests. Non-guests either bring their own or need to rent at the villages of Grainau / Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- Café-Restaurant Eibsee Pavillon: A beautiful café and restaurant with lakeview where you can taste freshly made cakes, local dishes or just a drink.
- Boat rental: In the Summer months you can rent pedal boats. Prices start at €15/hour
- Souvenir shop
HOTEL RECOMMENDATIONS AT EIBSEE LAKE:
- 4* Eibsee Hotel: Located right in front of the lake. Guests have private parking and bike rental service at their disposal. Prices start at €300/night
- 4* Rheinischer Hof: Located in the village of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, this 4* cosy hotel with views of the Zugspitze mountain is a great option to explore the area. Eibsee lake is only a 15-minute drive. Rooms are spacious, decorated in a wooden alpine style and there is a great selection of breakfast options. This is where I stayed. Prices start at €100/night
Views of 4* Rheinischer Hof Hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
IS EIBSEE LAKE DOABLE AS A DAYTRIP FROM MUNICH?
Yes, you can perfectly visit Lake Eibsee on a daytrip from Munich. As this area is one of the most scenic ones in Germany, I fully recommend setting it as a base for an Alpine lake road trip. You can get some inspiration from this route I did last Winter.
Eibsee Lake is my favorite lake in Germany and trust me it is the one with the most incredible views!
It is one of those landscapes you definitely must see once in a lifetime!
Hope these tips help you and let me know what you liked most:
Travel Resources in Germany
- Finding accommodation in Bavaria, Germany: booking.com is the best option to find your accommodation in Germany.
- Renting a car in Germany: Some of the best places Germany has to offer are only accessible by car. Moreover, it is a great country to roadtrip as there are no speed limits or tolls. I recommend renting a car at Sixt.
- Finding flights to Germany: I recommend checking for connections at Skyscanner but to always book directly at the airlines. The German airline Lufthansa is one of the best in the world with excellent connections around the world.
- Need help planning your trip to Germany: I offer you personalized travel planning consultancy. Just contact me so that we can discuss and prepare a tailormade plan for your trip.